ixsystems changed how plugins worked for FreeNAS 11.3, a plugin installed on FreeNAS 11.2 will no longer update correctly. This is a guide on how to install Plex (and possibly other) plugins on FreeNAS 11.3
- Go to the Plugins page and select either Plex Media Server or Plex Media Server Beta (The only difference is the Beta version is for people who subscribe to Plex Pass).
- Hit Install
- Under Jail Name, create a name for you Plex Installation - I used PlexServer for this post. You can either assign an address via DHCP or set a static IP address. I choose to leave it on DHCP as I have had issues when setting a static IP address.
4. Hit Save
5. FreeNAS will then start the package installation which can take 5 to 10 minutes
6. Once Plex is installed, go to Storage, and then Pools in FreeNAS
7. If you do not already have a pool, create a separate pool for your media, I creatively called mine Media.
8. Click on the three vertical dots to the right of the of the screen underneath the gear icon.
9. Select the Edit ACL option
10. Add a New ACL
Setup the ACL as follows:
11. Scroll down and check the Apply Permissions Recursively box
12. Hit Save
For more information on why this needs to be done, have a look at this FreeNAS blog post - Plex Permissions in FreeNAS 11.3
Last updated: 2020/03/29