Gaming on Linux is now possible with Steam. They maintain a database of Linux compatible games at SteamOS & Linux Products on Steam
To install Steam on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit
- Download the latest client from Steam
- Open the Terminal application and go to the Downloads folder
- Run the command sudo dpkg -i steam_latest.deb
- Run the command sudo ap-get install -f to install the dependencies for curl and python-apt which the Steam Launcher requires
- Steam will then be added to the Games Sub Menu. Accept the license as usual
- Steam will need to install more libraries and will prompt for your password.