The Motorola G is a nice budget friendly phone and Motorola install of Android is pretty close to stock Android but it can be improved. The first step in adding a custom ROM or converting to a Google Play Edition is to unlock the Bootloader.
I am assuming you already have fastboot installed on your PC.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it in fastboot mode by holding down the power and volume down buttons at the same time
- Now connect the USB cable from your PC to the phone to establish a connection. Let Windows install the various drivers that it needs automatically.
- Open the command prompt and go to the directory with the fastboot executables are stored and the type: “fastboot oem get_unlock_data”.
- Open your favorite web browser and to go the Motorola Site
- The command prompt will be showing something like this :(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230; (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00; (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95; (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000; (bootloader) 0000000.
- Now copy the text (without the “bootloader” word) to the Motorola web site –
- Click the “Can my device be unlocked” option.
- If your device can be unlocked, hit the the “request unlock key” button and select “I agree”.
- A unique code (20 character alpha numeric code) will be sent to your email.
- Go to the command window on your computer and type the command : “fastboot oem unlock [paste code from Motorola here]”
- Congratulations, your Motorola Moto G boot loader is now hopefully unlocked.